Coagh, County Tyrone
Coagh Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall 1920.
33 Urban Road, Coagh, County Tyrone.
Coagh War Memorial Hall was opposite Coagh Presbyterian Church.
The photograph clearly shows a hall in a semi-derelict condition unlike in 1920, when judging from the following description of the unveiling and dedication, the hall was a very impressive building indeed. ‘Facing the county road, the building is finished in ornamental concrete, on which the inscription stands out in relief
“Coagh Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial Hall, A.D. 1920.”
In the centre is a memorial window of stained glass, on which is predicted a soldier’s grave, surmounted by a cross, on either side of which stands a soldier and sailor holding a laurel wreath, and overall, the picture of a dove, with outstretched wings, and beneath the words-
“Lest we forget.”
The arched entrance to the vestibule is guarded by a collapsible gate. To the left a staircase, with solid mahogany rail, leads to the gallery, while to the right is a convenient cloakroom. The swinging doors leading into the main hall are of polished oak, with inset stained glass panels, bearing the inscription, “The glorious dead.” On each side of the door is erected a massive bronze tablet of beautiful design and workmanship, one of which bears the 33 names of the fallen, underneath the inscription-
“In proud and grateful memory of those who left this district
to fight in the cause of liberty and justice,
and who laid down their lives in the great war,
1914 – 1919”
and the other the names of those who served.
Lenox-Conyngham, Hubert M. Lieutenant-Colonel, A.D.V.C.
Lenox-Conyngham, John S. M., Lieutenant-Colonel, 6th Connaught Rangers
Bell, Alexander Law 12/1885 New Zealand Field Artillery
Burgess, Robert King Holmes 3190 East Africa Pioneers
Creighton, James 21390 Machine Gun Corps.
Currie, Frederick 19319 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Devlin, Thomas 4442 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Ferguson, Rachel Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service
Hagan, Matthew 71398 Household Cavalry & Cavalry of the Line
Harkness, Alexander Duff 31267 New Zealand Expeditionary Force
Howe, Robert 602253 Canadian Infantry
Junk, Samuel 17495 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
McGuckin, Paul 66782 Machine Gun Corps
McMullan, John 17808 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
McReynolds, Thomas Alexander 32788 Warwickshire Regiment
Mitchell, Robert 21296 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Mitchell, Robert 29062 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Mitchell, James 11083 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Mitchell, Joseph 20815 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Mitchell, William T 11084 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
O'Neil, Patrick 3080100 Canadian Infantry
O'Neill, Francis 3035 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
O'Neill, Peter 12124 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
O'Neill, Joseph 9357 Connaught Rangers
Rankin (aka Corr), W L 42468 Royal Welch Fusiliers
Rice, Samuel Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Sands, Robert 13890 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Shields, George 23667 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
White, John 751 Royal Irish Rifles
Young, Samuel 28498 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Names courtesy of Sam McC.
The main hall, including the gallery, has seating accommodation for 400 persons. A small staircase on either side of the back gives access to the stage from the ante-rooms behind. The front portion of the hall is seated with chairs, and in the back portion and gallery the seats are of pitch pine. Entering the back portion of the building by a side door a staircase leads to a commodious room upstairs, having ample accommodation for smaller meetings, for which the space afforded by the main hall would not be required. Beneath this room are two small rooms, with doors leading into the stage, and fitted up with all necessary requirements for using them in conjunction with the larger rooms.’
Dr. Burges, chairman of the hall trustees, presented a silver key to Lady Craig, wife of the Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, and asked her to declare the hall open.
Mrs. Lennox-Conyngham afterwards unveiled one of the memorial brasses which contained the names of the fallen, and Mrs. R. J. M’Keown unveiled the other, on which was inscribed the names of those who had served.
Although the inscription above the door dates the hall as 1920, it was not officially opened until 1921.
If you can supply additional information or photographs about memorials in Northern Ireland, or wish to report broken links, make comments, suggestions, requests, etc., please e-mail
contact @ ulsterwarmemorials.net (please remove the spaces before using the e-mail address)
All contributions will be acknowledged.
Return to County Tyrone page